01 May 2010

Expectations

The sunrise wasn't what I expected this morning. I found myself feeling disappointed. I wanted it to be a bright fiery "typical" sunrise today but that was not to be. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful sunrise. In fact many of the "stay-up-all-night" partyers that frequent the beach on Saturday mornings at sunrise were in awe of this sunrise. But it wasn't what I wanted today.

Then it hit me. It was my expectations that were causing the disappointment and not the sunrise at all. It's good to be reminded of this dynamic every now and again. Today, I needed to be reminded. I have noticed feeling disappointed a lot lately and now I can observe that it has been my expectations causing all the problems. This is a relief because now I can refocus my energy on what's going on inside of me instead of what's going on outside of me. I guess it comes down to faith again; faith in the process; faith that it will all work out. There were flocks of geese flying eastward today. They were flying very low, perhaps inches above the surface of the water. They were flying in "V" formation and at very high speed. I marvelled at the fact that they never hit the water with their wings nor did any one of them fall out of formation or slow down. They were in perfect synchronicity and flying in perfect faith that everyone else was doing what they were supposed to be doing. Each goose was focused on it's job and nothing else. Maybe the geese know something we don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment