02 May 2010

Ordinary Miracles

I was listening to Sarah McLachlan's song this morning while I was walking - Ordinary Miracle. The words are so profound. There I was walking along the boardwalk where I walk every morning and the sun was making its entrance as it does everyday. I had never stopped to contemplate what an "ordinary miracle" this was. What else was I missing?

So, I started to look around. First of all, there were flowers, trees, bushes and all types of beautiful flowering growing things all around indicative of the springtime. Even the little flies that drive me crazy when I walk in the spring - what was their purpose? And more importantly, when did they sleep? Because they were wide awake before 6am on a Sunday :) The birds fascinate me. Again, they were flying a few inches from the surface at full speed in formation. They flew in flocks in perfectly timed intervals. Where were they going? All of a sudden I was overcome by a sense of how much I loved my life exactly as it was right then and there; in its imperfection. At the very same moment, I stood inside the paradox that there was so much more to experience and it was worth striving for. I have been in this place before, many years ago, on Whistler mountain. I recognize the opportunity. It came from noticing what was there without attachment. Maybe that's the secret and perhaps the ordinary miracles are the path that gets us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment