14 May 2010

Rhythm

Not much of a sun today. This happens. What I noticed today is that I found my eyes focusing on the other things around me because I didn't have the sun to distract my gaze. The lake caught my attention today. At first glance, it looked tumultuous because the waves were quite large and they were loudly crashing on the shore. However, upon closer examination I noticed that the lake was actually quite calm and rhythmic. The waves kept coming over and over over again but they were evenly spaced, predictable and oddly soothing. There was a definite rhythm.

How often in my own life have I denied the rhythmic waves that run through me? I was afraid of them - afraid that they meant there was something wrong. In actual fact, they were often proof that I was alive, feeling and living in my body. What's the purpose of the body if you can't feel it? The waves are the indicators of these feelings. When you accept the waves then they become soothing and comforting. They don't go away but acknowledging and accepting their presence transforms them.

No comments:

Post a Comment