11 May 2010

Part of It All

This morning when I was walking, I got a real sense of how we are all connected. It happened I I was walking right along the shoreline. I suppose that I noticed at one point that I was practically in the lake. I was most definitely right at its edge. This was highlighted by the fact that the sand bank rose sharply beside creating the illusion that I was down below something. I felt very connected to the lake at that point. I know that sounds kind of corny but it's just what overcame me in the moment. I felt as though I could just walk straight into the lake and disappear forever.

Perhaps that's what nature does for us: it reminds us that we are part of something bigger. I walk down by this lake almost every single day. I see birds every single morning. Are they the same birds? Are they following a routine like me? Or are they completely different birds each morning on their way to another lake? Yesterday, I saw an otter. At least I think it was an otter. Maybe it was a seal (lol). It was just swimming about in the water and didn't seem frightened by me at all. Maybe the birds and the otters know that we are all connected and this concept doesn't baffle them. My problems didn't seem so huge when I stood at the edge of the lake today. I guess contemplating the fact that my problems are pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of the whole universe helped to bring it all into perspective.

1 comment: