13 April 2010

Stillness


I always find it fascinating that Lake Ontario, one of the Great Lakes, can ever be still. Today it was dead calm. It was as though I was at some quaint cottage lake instead of standing on the edge of the 14th largest lake in the world with a length of 311km and a width of 85km. Dead calm. As in, I could see the bottom all along the shore. The birds were plentiful as usual but they were flying right above the stillness almost testing how close they could get in the absence of any waves.

I got to thinking that if even the Great Lake Ontario could find stillness then perhaps I could too. Perhaps it is closer than I think. But even more importantly, perhaps stillness is not something to be achieved or even yearned for on a daily basis. Perhaps that is unrealistic. Instead, stillness is to be cherished when it is discovered; usually when you least expect it. Just notice the stillness when it is there and don't worry about it when it's not. I guarantee that it's not far away and that it will be there when you need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment