18 April 2010

Assumptions


I assumed this morning was going to be devoid of a sunrise because it had been raining all night and the forecast was for more overcast. Since I am facing the west when I start out walking then the sky is always dark in front of me. However, this time I happened to notice a building way off in the downtown skyline. It looked like it had all of its lights on which was odd for 6:30am on a Sunday. What I quickly realized was that it must actually be the reflection of the sun on the windows. I instantly turned around to see a beautiful band of gold peeking through a slit in the completely overcast sky. What a treat!

I would have missed it if I wasn't paying attention to what got my attention - in this case, the lit-up windows of a downtown office building. I also learned a valuable lesson about assumptions (again). I had written off this morning because someone else told me that the sky would be overcast. It wasn't even that difficult to determine for myself. I just had to pay attention and take some relatively effortless action. My efforts were rewarded with such a beautiful sight. The band of gold only lasted about 10 minutes and then it was gone. Lucky for me I didn't stick to my assumptions this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment