25 April 2010

The Other Direction


Sometimes what we are looking for is right behind us. The sunrise was absolutely breathtaking this morning. The entire sky was aglow with orange, gold and red. I couldn't take my eyes off it. The rest of the sky was overcast and grey preparing for the rainy day ahead. I was deep in thought this morning trying to work through a current challenge. I was asking for help when a friend of my suggested that perhaps I need to look in the opposite direction. It was meant as a metaphor as in perhaps the answer to my problem wasn't to be found in front of me.

However, at that same moment, I also happened to turn my attention away from the stunning sunrise just as the fiery sun broke the horizon. I turned away from the wind and focused on the grey storm clouds in the western sky. At that exact moment, the most beautiful and enormous rainbow appeared. The colours grew stronger as the sun continued to rise above the horizon. I was speechless. On a day when most everybody would be glued to the vision of the sunrise, a most beautiful vision was available in the other direction for those people who chose to look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment