01 January 2010

Quiet


There was nothing special about this day except everything. Being the first day of 2010 has got to be something special. And yet, the sunrise was.....subtle. In fact, I couldn't even see it rise because it has been gently snowing for a few hours. I did, however watch the sky turn from dark to light. That's how I knew that the sun was finally up. Well, that and the fact that my computer told me it was going to rise at 7:57EST today. I am in Collingwood, ON, Canada which is a popular ski destination for those of us who live in Toronto.

I can't help but notice how secure I feel that the sun is actually up and yet I cannot see it and have no real "proof" that it is up there. I wonder if there are any other things in my life that I surrender such strong faith. Usually, I notice that it's the other way around. That unless I see good hard proof that I am usually skeptical to a fault. Why is that? I am not experiencing any stress right now wondering where the sun is, if it's really there and whether or not it will be there tomorrow. I just know. And I know that I know. I have to think that if I apply this approach to other areas of my life, it will allow me to feel more peaceful even when things don't seem to be going the way I want them to. That's what I will do today on this beautiful first day of 2010. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment