19 January 2010

Expectation

I realized that I expect the sun to rise every morning. It always does but I got to thinking: what if it didn't? It's a fairly strong expectation. I imagine the disappointment would be huge if the sun didn't actually rise one day. Expectations can be the source of a lot of disappointment but I think it's important to realize that it's the expectation that causes the disappointment not the event itself. This is a very empowering distinction because the expectation doesn't come from the outside, it comes from the inside. And, if it comes from the inside then it is within your complete control.

When I find myself suffering or struggling I can usually bet that there is an expectation driving it. I don't always act on this realization but that tends to prolong the negative experience. The moment that I give up the expectation then I am usually free to experience something enjoyable in my life. But I first have to choose to take my focus off the expectation and just allow what is happening to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment