03 July 2010

Soft Desert

I'm back in the desert again. The colours in the desert are always muted; a softened version of their originals. Even the sunrise is muted. There is a softness around the edge of the sun that I only ever see when I am in the desert. I love being here. I love feeling the heat of the wind and seeing the tenacity of the desert plants as they creatively strive to get hydrated.

At first glance, the desert appears harsh. But it's not. The hardness of the rock and the dryness is softened by the pastel colours and vibrancy of the desert plants. This place is calming and balanced. The desert has stuck a balance between harsh and soft. I strive to do the same within myself. I'm not always successful. I usually swing too far one way or the other. Thankfully, I am willing to pay attention to the feedback in my life which helps inform me which way I am leaning. Lately, I have been leaning a little to far to hard side. Introducing softness is always a challenge however the hardest part is making the switch. Then, it get easier each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment