07 July 2010

Opposites

Sunrise seemed to come early this morning. Or perhaps it was just the fact that I had a late night which changed my pattern. It was hot and sunny by 5:35 this morning. I love this heat. Today's heat was a little crisper than other mornings, not quite as stifling. Shortly after sunrise I was on my way to my favourite spot in Las Vegas: Mount Charleston. It is at least 30 degrees cooler in the mountains here. What a beautiful drive.

It's amazing how much of our life experience revolves around the weather. The lack of sun can totally wreck a day and yet too much sun can do the same thing. However, it is the extremes in anything that help define a great experience. You can never experience the depth of coldness until you have also felt the height of extreme heat. You can never truly know light until you have spent some time in complete darkness. Opposites are what define our experience and give it richness. Paradoxically, the extremes can also be the sources of frustration and suffering. I suppose it comes down to perspective. Which side are you going to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment