21 August 2010

Sleepy Valley

I'm in Ojai, California. It's in the mountains between LA and Santa Barbara. Krishanmurti lived here for many years at one point. I can see why. The Ojai valley is one of the most stunning landscapes I have ever laid eyes on. My witness of the sunrise was very brief this morning. I got up, noticed it and went directly back to sleep. The jet lag combined with the intensity of my work left me no choice. Sleep was a necessity.

I wonder how many times in my life I have denied my deepest need for some social convention. It's not really that acceptable to "need sleep" or to "need" anything for that matter. But everybody has needs. I used to think it was weak to "need" things now I actually see it as a sign of strength. Recognizing that there is no way possible that you could be truly self-sufficient on this little planet takes an immense amount of strength and courage. There is great strength in vulnerability because a person with less resources would merely shut down in the face of adversity. Someone with strength continues on with life in the face of vulnerability and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment