28 October 2010

Long Island Light

The sun has risen in Long Island, NY this morning and I have watched it do so. Well, I watched as much as I could from my hotel room that faced south. I saw the periphery of the sunrise. The sky was subtly tinged with a golden glow but frankly, there was more colour in the autumn trees than in the sky at sunrise.

I wanted to see a more beautiful sunrise in this new place. I have never been to Long Island before. My expectations were not met. Expectations tend to be the cause of many upsets. When we cling to an idea of how it should be and it doesn't turn out that way then we are left with upset and disappointment. But the source of the suffering is in the expectation itself for if we had not be expecting anything then there would be nothing to be disappointed about.

No comments:

Post a Comment