19 October 2010

Big Surprise

I awoke this morning to the sound of pounding rain. I meant the kind of rain that sounds like the world is ending. In fact, I had no idea what the sound actually was when I woke up. I was completely shocked to discover the torrential downpour taking place outside my window. Needless to say, there was no sunrise.

Someone once said to me "you don't like surprises, you only like surprises that you want". I thought this was a really poignant distinction. He was right. I actually don't like being surprised if it not what I was hoping for. However, surprises are what keep us from getting stale. Surprises force us to find new resources and usually they force us to do this quickly. This morning threw me for a loop but I recovered quickly when I realized that I needed to change my plan for the morning. Surprises keep us on our toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment