08 March 2010

Intuition

Intuition is that little part inside of us that knows what we should or shouldn't do. I often doubt my own as do most people. Yet, the sun never seems to show any doubt. The sunrise is one of the most predictable and certain events in my day. In fact, I know ahead of time that the sun will rise tomorrow at approximately 6:42am. That is 100% certainty. But in trusting myself, I wouldn't say I had 100% certainty. There are times where I am not sure that what I am doing is right at all but I keep doing it.

There are times when I know that I am going against my intuition because I am doing something logical. These often end up in the worst kind of results. Yet, intuition is not based on nothing. In fact there is a professor at Leeds University in the UK who makes it his life's work to study intuition and its application in business. He found that intuition is actually based on experience. More importantly, intuition is based on all the little things in your experiences that were not conscious to you. In this way, intuition takes into account EVERYTHING that has happened to you whereas logic takes into account that those experiences that you were conscious of. Knowing that intuition is actually based on experience gives me a little more certainty in trusting that little voice when it pops us.

No comments:

Post a Comment