20 March 2010

Day Off

The sun is taking a day off today. I'm kind of relieved to tell you the truth. I always feel a little pressure to get outside and seize the day when the sun is in full shine. Perhaps the clouds are a sign that I should also take a day off. Or at least focus on doing some of the "administrative" work that isn't glamorous but is totally necessary. Today is that kind of day.

I remember hearing the saying about enlightenment. A young monk asked an old monk what happens before enlightenment. The old monk replies "chop wood, carry water". Then the young monk inquires as to what happens after enlightenment. To which the old monk replies "chop wood, carry water". This indicates that the tasks that we perform are a necessity to our physical lives and must be performed regardless. I take comfort in knowing this when I am doing my chores. Perhaps the task is the key to the freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment