11 November 2010

Home Again

The leaves are falling fast in Toronto. I awoke to a very chilly morning. In fact, it was the coldest morning that I have seen in many months. The ground is almost completely covered with leaves. There are still a few stubborn oak trees that haven't given up one single leaf yet. I watched the sun rise many times in the last 24 hours. What a weird sensation to fly for almost 24 hours and have almost no time pass on the clock. Makes me wonder about time in general.

When you fly across the international date line, the date just changes. It's a bizarre feeling, especially when you fly "backwards" as I did yesterday. I left Auckland at 8pm and arrived in Vancouver at noon on the same date. I finally arrived in Toronto at 10pm. Is time really arbitrary? Is it something that we constructed? Who decided? It's good to ask questions about things that are assumed. How many things do you just take for granted as being true that have never fallen under your questioning scrutiny? Questioning breed innovation, design and invention. It doesn't matter what you question so long as you do it. It's important to never stop asking questions and challenging assumptions and outdated ways of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment