05 November 2010

Blustery Balmoral


I went back to Balmoral Beach this morning for a nostalgic sunrise walk. It was windy and freezing. I opted instead to gaze at the water from the sanctuary of Billy's coffee shop where the staff are incredible. They have really made me feel at home while I have been away for so long.

Home is a pretty special place. I used to think that home was a place but now I am starting to understand that home is actually a state of mind. True, I haven't been around my actual home much in the last few weeks but oddly enough there have been a couple of days where I have felt truly connected to my husband and kids despite the fact that they are thousands of kilometres away from me. I realized today at Billy's coffee shop that it's our connection to people that satiates our need for home. It is human contact and connection that we crave not locations and buildings. This insight liberated me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment