18 September 2010

Solitary Contemplation





I was the only person on the beach this morning. In a city of nearly 3 million people, there wasn't another soul walking along the boardwalk before sunrise today. Too bad for them because they missed one of the most stunning sunrises ever. It was a colour and light explosion.

I was all too acutely aware of being alone. And then paradoxically, I realized that we are never ever alone. Separation is a concept created by your conscious mind (ego) in an effort to make sense of the wonder and beauty that is our world. As I walked, I became aware of all of the life buzzing around me from the birds to the insects to the sway of the trees and the lull of the waves on the lake. The more I looked, the more I found evidence of being literally surrounded with connection. Then, as if to enunciate this point, I came across a makeshift chair. Someone had fashioned a chair out of rocks and concrete and it sat empty facing the direction of the sunrise. Clearly, I was not alone. Someone had been here before me and they had left evidence of their presence. They had also left a legacy - a comfortable vantage point from which to enjoy a treasured sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment