13 June 2010

Unmet Expectations

I really wanted there to a be a brilliant sunrise this morning. I really wanted to see red, orange, pink and purple. I wanted all of this but it wasn't to be. The sky was overcast grey this morning and the sun was nowhere to be found. In fact, it's still nowhere to be found. While I know the rain is good for the flowers, today I wanted the sunshine and it wasn't there. I found myself feeling disappointed.

It is interesting to note that there have been many grey overcast days where I have not felt disappointed. In fact, on many of these days, I am happy for the break. So the disappointment is not inherent to the grey skies. The disappointment is due to my expectations. This is always the case. Disappointment is always caused by our expectations. This is good news and bad news. The good news is that we can change our expectations thus alleviating the disappointment. The bad news, however, is that the responsibility lies on each of us alone. No one can choose to change our expectations except us. This is the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment