21 June 2010

Transition

I'm at LAX this morning and the sunrise just came and went with no warning, no signal. The sky is almost completely overcast. It's grey and devoid of colour. Weird for LA. In contrast, the sunset on the airplane last night was exquisite and because I was flying west I got to enjoy the sunset for almost 2 hours. It's almost as though the sun knew that I got an extended display last night so its sleeping in this morning. And yet, as overcast as it is, I can still smell the ocean. I love that about LA. Nothing beats a walk on the beach in Santa Monica.

I find myself writing about focus again. This morning is a prime example. I could focus on the busyness and harshness of this city or I can turn my attention to the gorgeous expanse of water that stretches all the way to Australia, NZ and Asia. There are always infinite ways to focus our attention. The actual focusing makes all the difference in our experience of the moment. When things are changing and everything seems unstable, try focusing on what is NOT changing - on what is certain. I bet you will eventually find yourself focusing on the sun and the fact that it's going to come up again tomorrow regardless of what's happening today - thanks Cindy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment