16 June 2010

Faith

The sun is there hiding behind the clouds even if you can't see one little shred of light coming through. There's going to be a thunderstorm today - it's in the air. The wind is wild and the air is heavy. The sky was completely overcast in multiple layers of grey clouds. The lake was volatile and unpredictable. Needless to say, I was the only one out there this morning.

However, I noticed a few things. First of all, the birds seemed to be having a great time. They were "wind surfing" in the air, appearing to fly but not actually moving forward at all. They appeared to be hovering. I'm not a bird but I have to guess that it's pretty fun to flap your wings and remain in the same place. The other thing that caught my attention was something that I was discussing just yesterday with my friend. The sun is still there even though I can't see it. This belief, my faith that the sun is still there, is very comforting. It's the certainty of it that's comforting. The beliefs that we hold 100% certain are very powerful ones because they provide a benchmark for all other beliefs. I know the sun is there, perhaps taking a break from shining down on us but it's still there nonetheless waiting for the clouds to part.

No comments:

Post a Comment